6 romantic ideas for your trip to Paris
Here are some top tips from your 3-star hotel in Paris.
Although lovers are no longer allowed to attach their padlocks to the Pont des Arts since a ruling in June 2015, there are still a wide array of wonderful places to visit in the capital of love. Follow the tips below for your romantic visit to Paris, whether for St Valentine’s Day or an impromptu weekend…
Near your 3-star hotel in Paris
- The Musée de la Vie romantique (Museum of Romance), in the 9th arrondissement, is just a short walk from your hotel in Paris’ 10th arrondissement. The Scheffer-Renan Hotel houses a number of collections devoted to celebrating love, with several works about Georges Sand. But the high point is the tea room and its secret garden.
- Also near your 3-star hotel in Paris is the unmissable l’Opéra Garnier. The guided tour takes in the theatre, the library, the grand staircase and various salons – a visit alive with romantic art.
A trip to Montmartre & Pigalle
- During your Paris trip, make sure you visit Montmartre: the Sacré-Cœur Basilica, the magnificent panoramic views of the capital, the artists on the place du Tertre, and a little further down, in the Abbesses, don’t miss the Mur des Je t’aime (an installation by Frédéric Baron and Claire Kit) in which the words “I love you” are written 311 times in 250 languages!
- At the foot of Montmartre Hill, Pigalle offers a spicy and risqué alternative. And why not pop into the Musée de l’Erotisme, whose seven floors are devoted to the erotic arts from across the world and down the ages?
More top tips from your 10th arrondissement Paris hotel
- Walk hand in hand along the banks of the Seine towards Ile Saint-Louis. When the sun is out, savour a Berthillon ice cream as you head towards the Ile de la Cité. At its tip, stop for a while under the famous weeping willow on the Vert Galant square.
- And to round off your romantic Paris break, what could be better than a cruise dinner on the Seine? Choose from a wide range of bateaux mouches and enjoy an unforgettable dinner as the Parisian scenery unfurls before your eyes…
Bonus idea: a walking tour through Paris – the city of eternal love
Begin the day on the place des Abbesses, up on Montmartre Hill – the ideal spot for an oh-so-Parisian breakfast, before heading up to Sacré-Cœur to enjoy the views out over the city.
Then, taking your time, head down rue des Martyrs with its pretty boutiques until you reach the Saint-Georges district, with its Museum of Romance!
Then hop on a bus or the metro to the Jardin du Luxembourg to declare your undying love under the trees around the splendid Médicis fountain.
Finish off with a visit to the Marais, one of the oldest districts in the city, with its private mansions, Picasso Museum, designer boutiques and secret corners (like the Carreau du Temple) and the genteel calm of the place des Vosges.